Today's Edition Local Missouri National World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Newsletters Contests Special Sections Jobs
story.lead_photo.caption Trey Bexten of Helias is brought down by Capital City's Colton Sheehan during Friday night's game at Ray Hentges Stadium. Photo by Ethan Weston

The Helias Crusaders and Capital City Cavaliers both got something out of Friday night's game.

For the Crusaders, it was a 31-0 win against the Cavaliers on Homecoming at Ray Hentges Stadium.

"We shouldn't be disappointed with a 31-0 win," Helias coach Chris Hentges said. "It was a win on Homecoming against a crosstown opponent."

For the Cavaliers, there are no such things as moral victories. But they can take away the fact they played four good quarters of football.

"I told the guys before the game don't be surprised if we were in it at the half and don't be surprised if we're in it at the end," Capital City coach Joe Collier said.

After an exchange of punts to start the game, Helias took over at the Capital City 31.

Ten running plays later, Carson Brauner scored from 5 yards out and Vinnie Calvaruso's PAT made it 7-0 with 4:34 left in the first quarter.

But Helias couldn't find the end zone the rest of the half. Calvaruso's 43-yard field goal with 4:48 left in the second quarter gave the Crusaders a 10-0 advantage going into intermission.

"What you saw in the first half, we were playing to potential," Collier said.

Capital City ran 28 offensive plays in the first half to 24 for Helias.

The Cavaliers ran the ball 18 times for 71 yards while completing 2-of-10 passes for 4 yards and totaling six first downs.

Helias had 43 yards on 14 carries, while going 5-of-10 through the air for 38 yards. Helias had five first downs.

"They were trying to shorten the game as much as they could, run down the play clock," Hentges said. "And they did it very well."

The Crusaders pulled away in a three-minute span that carried from the third quarter into the fourth.

Helias made it 17-0 with 1:55 remaining in the third quarter on a 37-yard run by Drew Miller. After the Crusader defense forced a three-and-out, it took Helias three plays to go 41 yards for a touchdown.

That score came on a 39-yard pass from Drew Miller to Harrison Miller and to make it 24-0.

The Crusaders scored their final touchdown with 5:17 remaining on a 3-yard run by Sam Wyrick.

"We played much better in the second half," Hentges said.

Capital City finished with 36 carries for 106 yards and were 2-of-13 passing for 4 yards.

Helias had 196 yards on 36 carries. Drew Miller, who led Helias with 65 yards on the ground. was 10-of-19 passing for 107 yards.

Capital City (0-6 overall, 0-4 CMAC) will be back in action next Friday at home against Sedalia Smith-Cotton. The conference contest will start at 7 p.m. at Adkins Stadium.

Helias (5-1, 4-0) will host Jefferson City at 7 p.m. Friday.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.
/** **/