Today's Edition Local Missouri National World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Newsletters Contests Special Sections Jobs
story.lead_photo.caption Nicholas Bliesath Photo by Cole County Sheriff's Department

A Jefferson City man is facing multiple charges after being shocked by a stun gun following a Tuesday afternoon disturbance.

Nicholas Bliesath, 36, is charged with felony counts of unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, first-degree harassment and resisting arrest. He is also facing misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree domestic assault, peace disturbance and misuse of the 911 emergency phone number.

Officers were called to the 600 block of Meier Drive on Tuesday afternoon for a man armed with a firearm, allegedly under the influence of narcotics and alcohol and making statements about his peace being disturbed, according to a Jefferson City Police Department probable cause statement.

During the police response to the scene, Bliesath called back to the 911 Center and allegedly asked, if he "popped off a round, would it get officers there faster?"

When officers arrived, they reportedly found Bliesath on his phone in the backyard. They began to give him commands to show his hands, but Bliesath allegedly became defiant. Authorities said Blieseth was armed with a firearm placed in the small of his back. Bliesath allegedly began reaching for the firearm. Commands were given for him to stop, which he did, but he remained defiant to the officers.

For several minutes officers tried to negotiate with Bliesath to get him to drop his firearm. He reportedly refused and said if officers attempted to take the firearm away from him, "there was going to be problems."

At one point, Bliesath reportedly agreed to drop the firearm but again became upset with officers and gripped it as though he was going to shoot it.

This led officers to use a stun gun, which caused Bliesath to drop the weapon, and he was taken into custody.

Officers spoke to family members of Bliesath, who said he had been drinking prior to going to work but his boss let him leave early because he did not look well. The family members also reportedly told police Bliesath had gone to a residence in St. Martins where he allegedly used acid and cocaine. He then returned home and started to become confrontational.

Bliesath's girlfriend had managed to take his gun from his van and hid it, but he managed to find it. She claimed he told her he wanted to "take everyone out and wanted officers to show up."

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.