With fall in full swing and winter soon approaching, now may be the ideal time to get any outstanding outdoor projects out of the way. There may also be the desire, with the change of seasons to execute not only necessary repairs and preventive maintenance but also upgrade to include some outdoor entertainment that can be enjoyed during colder months.
Here are some ideas as it relates to fall projects.
1. House painting. Looking to give your home a refresher? While many choose to paint in the spring, the fall may be a good alternative season to refresh the outside of your home.
2. Outdoor Kitchens. Outdoor kitchens can be basic or elaborate. There are companies that will even create an all in one unit that just has to be hooked up with the help of professionals such as an electrician and or plumber. If you live in a colder climate, you will need to winterize your outdoor kitchen before freezing temperatures kick in.
3. Saunas. With so many opting for a "staycation." Saunas, which are relatively easy to install allow for an appealing outdoor oasis.
4. Landscaping. The fall is a good time to give your landscape a "fall cleanup". Pulling weeds and mulching can help prepare your landscape for the winter chill.
5. Fire pits. Fire pits are more popular than ever and are especially enjoyable on a chilly fall night!
6. Hot tubs. The transition from summer to Fall is typically a time when people look to close up pools and open hot tubs. Hot tubs can come in different sizes and shapes and remain a popular outdoor addition.
7. Decks and patios. Decks can be built all year round and the fall is the perfect time to prepare foundation and supports in order to build through the winter.
8. Pools. Many people looking to enjoy a summer pool often start planning and even building in the fall.
9. Repaving and resurfacing. In anticipation of winter potholes, now maybe a good time to execute any drive way or street repairs.
10. Gutter repair or replacement. This is an important part of maintaining your home.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at [email protected] or cathyhobbs.com.