An electrical problem in the basement led to a fire that seriously damaged a Jefferson City home Monday afternoon.
The two-alarm fire at 1024 Hawthorn Parkway was called in just after 1 p.m.
The occupant of the home told 911 operators the home was filling with smoke, and there was black smoke coming from the area of the home's electrical box.
When crews arrived, nothing was showing from the outside. But when they entered the house, they found the fire in the basement.
The fire went up from the basement and eventually into the attic. It took about 45 minutes to put the fire out. Total damage was estimated at $100,000.
The resident of the home is recovering from knee surgery and was able to get out before fire crews arrived.
Firefighters had to deal with extreme heat and humidity while fighting the fire.