Jefferson City, MO 77° View Live Radar Tue H 90° L 71° Wed H 92° L 74° Thu H 98° L 74° Weather Sponsored By:

Isaac expected to bring 2-4 inches of rain locally

Isaac expected to bring 2-4 inches of rain locally

August 29th, 2012 in News

Dust is blown from behind a combine harvesting corn in a field near Coy, Ark., on Aug. 16. The remnants of Tropical Storm Isaac could ease but not eliminate drought conditions in Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois by dropping 2 to 5 inches of rain.

Photo by The Associated Press /News Tribune.

Jefferson City should see a respite from the drought this weekend, as remnants of Hurricane Issac make their way up from the south.

"The rain should start moving into the area beginning Friday morning and spread northward across the area Friday and even into Saturday before tapering off Saturday night," said Melissa Byrd, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in St. Louis.

Friday's chance of rain is 60 percent in the afternoon and 70 percent in the evening. Saturday's forecast calls for a 60 percent chance during the day and 40 percent into the evening, Byrd said.

No rain is expected Sunday.

The central Missouri area is in the middle of Issac's post-landfall path and is expected to get 2-4 inches of rain. Even if the path shifts, "we could still see a couple inches of rain," Byrd said.

"That would help a lot with the drought," she said.

She warned residents to be on alert for low-lying areas and creeks, since the hard ground could initially repel water, causing flash flooding.

See also:

Forecast, radar, advisories