Fulton schools bomb threat suspect in custody
Bazer turns self in on attorney Friday morning
Friday, November 8, 2013
The suspect in the Fulton Public Schools bus barn bomb threat Oct. 30 that left three schools on lockdown has turned himself in, Fulton police told the Fulton Sun this morning.
Circuit Clerk Judy Groner confirmed that shortly after 9 a.m. today, Ryan Scott Bazer, 30, appeared at the Callaway County Courthouse with his attorney.
Bazer was transported to the Callaway County Jail, where he faces $20,000 bond on charges of making a terrorist threat.
FPD Maj. Roger Rice said that officers believed he was in the area Thursday night and Fulton schools were on “high alert” this morning as a precaution.
Fulton Superintendent Jacque Cowherd said the district took some precautions but had received no threat or reports of incidents this morning.
“We were advised of the situation and basically ... we didn’t want to (alarm) anybody,” Cowherd said. “We canceled a couple things where kids were going out like open lunch at the high school. We advised the buildings to pay attention to their surroundings and who was coming and going.
“We were fortunate that Fulton Police provided 24-hour observation at the bus barn to assure bus safety and the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office followed a bus this morning on the route that had been threatened, and we had police presence at the school this morning as a precaution. I’m just glad this is coming to an end and we can have a normal school day.”
Officers say Bazer made a threat Oct. 30 involving a Fulton bus, the high school and a specific bus driver resulting from an apparent domestic issue the night before.
Fulton High School was put on lockdown momentarily as a result of the threat. Bartley and Bush elementary schools were also put on lockdown as a precaution because the threatened bus employee had family there.
Officers from FPD, the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office and the Missouri State Highway Patrol responded to check the bus and buildings and oversee students as they left. No bomb was found.
An FPD press release stated that following the incident, they believed Bazer returned to his home in North Dakota.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting