Attorney: Permit sought before KC restaurant blast
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A subcontractor suspected of rupturing a natural gas line before a deadly Kansas City restaurant explosion says it applied for an excavation permit, although the city says one was never granted.
The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/15QEFMn ) reports that Brad Russell, an attorney for Heartland Midwest, released a photocopied application for a permit Wednesday. He didn’t immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press.
A Missouri Gas Energy official said previously that Heartland Midwest reported hitting a natural gas line with an underground borer more than an hour before last week’s explosion. The blast and ensuing fire leveled JJ’s restaurant near the Country Club Plaza. One person was killed and 15 others were injured.
City officials said Monday that Heartland sought permission the day after the blast.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting