Fatima, Tipton, Versailles wrestle in districts
Friday, February 8, 2013
VERSAILLES, Mo. — The Fatima Comets find themselves in a tie for sixth place after the first day of districts, while the Versailles Tigers are eighth and Tipton is in 10th.
Seneca leads the Class 1 District 2 Tournament with 52 points, while Fatima is tied with Warsaw with 35.5. Versailles has 33 and Tipton has 10.
Fatima has four wrestlers who advanced to the semifinals today. Moving on are:
• Cody Huhn at 106 pounds, as the freshman won by fall over Austin Burlingame of El Dorado Springs in the first round and Blair Oaks’ Dylan Bischoff in his second match.
• Ryan Strope at 126. The senior won by fall over Sherwood’s Collin Atkinson and then won 17-1 over Adrian’s John Collins.
• Luke DeOrnellis at 145 won twice by fall. The senior beat Sherwood’s Chance Landsman and Springfield Catholic’s Ryan Bond.
• Matthew Jones at 195. The junior had a bye and then won by fall over Diamond’s Zach Renfro.
Still alive in wrestlebacks for the Comets are Kole Bocklang (113), Caleb Schroeder (120), Matt Stiefermann (132), Dylan Drennan (160), Zacary Aughtman (170) and Zachary Hogan (285).
Versailles, meanwhile, has five wrestlers in the semifinals:
• Freshman Dalton Schmidt at 106. He picked up two pins, beating Warsaw’s Gabe Atwood and Adrian’s Jeremy Dryden.
• Nathan Long, a sophomore, at 113. After a bye he won by fall over Seneca’s Quentin Cotten.
• Ely Roberts at 132. The senior had a bye and then won 8-0 over Jacob Jungnitsch of Knob Noster.
• Senior Zach Vogt at 170, who had two pins, beating Blair Oaks’ Tanner Lueckenhoff and Ryan Kissel of El Dorado Springs.
• Wesley Davidson at 285. After a bye, the senior won by fall over Knob Noster’s Bryce Ellinger.
In wrestlebacks, the Tigers still have Kaden Wilson (120), Justin Bauer (126), Zachary Parson (138), Jordan Silvey (145), Marcus Vogt (152), Patrick Koppi (160), Rex Sheely (182), Dylan Ballew (195) and Cody Bigler (220).
The Tipton Cardinals have one wrestler in the semifinals, as Cleven Keeling (285) had a bye and then won by fall over Butler’s Robert Anderson.
Competing in wrestlebacks for Tipton are Jordan Barnhart (113), Matthew Bagwill (132), Wyatt Parker (138), Eric Price (152), Ethan Gibson (160), Austin Bennett (170), Dallas Peoples (182), Ryan Bruce (195) and Charles Walsh (220).
The tournament gets under way at 10 a.m. today. The top four finishers in each weight class qualify for the state meet that begins Thursday at Mizzou Arena.