Fireplace cited in condo complex fire
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
The state fire marshal has confirmed the beliefs of Osage Beach fire officials that a fire that damaged a Lake of the Ozarks condominium complex this past weekend started in the fireplace of one of the second-floor units.
On Tuesday, Osage Beach Fire Protection District Chief Jeff Dorhauer released a statement from the fire marshal who worked with insurance investigators on their findings in the fire at Lakewood Condominiums.
“The investigation found that new propane gas log sets in the fireplace boxes had been set to close to combustible material,” the statement read. “The subsequent lighting of the fireplace by the occupants in unit 401 caused the combustible material to heat to its ignition temperature.”
A damage estimate still is being determined.
Minor smoke and exterior siding damage was sustained to buildings on either side of building 400.
No one was injured.
More like this story
- Lakewood Condominium fire believed to be caused by fireplace and/or flue
- Linn Creek home suffers damages after fire
- Update: Fire Marshal investigation shows blocked vent, ignited container started Dorsey's Pit Stop fire
- Early morning fire causes excessive damage to Tan-Tar-A Resort maintenance shop Monday
- April 10 benefit to assist eight families displaced from Cherokee Ridge fire
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting