Dixon leaving MU basketball team
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Missouri senior guard Michael Dixon announced Thursday night he will transfer from the university effective immediately.
“It’s been a challenging few months and while I appreciate the support of many in the community, including my coaches and teammates, it’s in the best interest of me, my family and the University of Missouri for me to finish my career elsewhere,” Dixon said in a statement released late Thursday night.
Dixon’s career at Missouri ended in a bizarre manner.
He never played this season after being suspended at the beginning of the season for what Missouri coach Frank Haith called a violation of team rules.
Little light was shed on the situation until reports surfaced Dixon had been accused of rape by two different women.
On Thursday, the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported Dixon was accused of rape first in 2010. The report came two days after a Columbia police report said Dixon was accused of rape earlier this year.
No charges were filed in either case.
According to the University of Missouri Police report, the woman in the 2010 case did not want to press charges for fear of retaliation.
The case from earlier this year was dropped due to insufficient evidence.
The announcement of his transfer came just hours after the report of the 2010 rape accusation came to light.
Dixon was a key part of Missouri’s team last season as he averaged 13.5 points per game off the bench.
This wasn’t the first run in with trouble for Dixon. He was suspended in December 2010 by then coach Mike Anderson for a violation of team rules.
Missouri is back with a home game Saturday against Appalachian State. The game is set for 2 p.m.