Fire damages Jefferson City house

A Jefferson City firefighter stands (behind the tree) on a charred deck and aims his fire hose at flames erupting Thursday from the roof of the home of Robert and Dorothy Neeley at 1902 Green Berry Road.

A Jefferson City firefighter stands (behind the tree) on a charred deck and aims his fire hose at flames erupting Thursday from the roof of the home of Robert and Dorothy Neeley at 1902 Green Berry Road.

An unattended barbeque grill that was somehow knocked over after a meal is believed to have been the cause of a Thursday evening house fire in Jefferson City.

According to city fire department reports, the blaze at 1902 Green Berry Road was reported around 6:30 p.m.

When crews arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the deck on one side of the house and flames were starting to go into the roof. Four people living in the home were able to get out safely.

Firefighters contained the flames to a bedroom and the kitchen of the home, according to department spokesman Jason Turner.

“This is the time of the year that we ask citizens to please make sure they properly extinguish their barbecues because we have seen many fires like this in the past,” he said. “Fortunately, no one was hurt.”

Read expanded news coverage daily in our newspaper or e-Edition. Newspaper subscribers: Click on an e-Edition article to log in using your current account information at no extra charge. For help, e-mail circ@newstribune.com.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments