Sober Driver Program operating for New Year's Eve
Monday, December 31, 2012
With the inclement weather and the New Year’s Eve holiday, the Jefferson City Police Department (JCPD) would again like to remind all those who take part in the annual festivities to be responsible and designate a driver.
As an alternative, however, JCPD and Fechtel Beverage have continued to work together to provide the Sober Driver Program.
The Sober Driver Program is a community-based program which provides free taxi rides to individuals who have become too impaired to legally or safely drive an automobile, or to passengers who choose not to ride with an impaired driver.
In 2011, Over 2,000 rides were given to impaired individuals.
Free taxi rides can be acquired in two ways:
From an establishment that sells alcohol by the drink.
• Patrons or a business representative should call 636-7102 for a free ride home.
• A Checker Cab will be dispatched to your location.
• A "Sober Driver" ticket will be presented to the individual needing a ride by the business.
• The ticket is then presented to the driver of the cab by the patron.
• The Sober Driver ticket then entitles the passenger to a free ride home from the establishment.
From private parties that have acquired tickets in advance.
• Individuals hosting private parties are eligible to use this program.
• Tickets for party guests can be acquired prior to the event by calling:
o Fechtel Beverage -- 425 West Elm Street -- 636-5161
o Jefferson City Police Department -- 401 Monroe Street -- Sgt. Doug Ruediger -- 634-6397
• Tickets acquired for private parties will have expiration dates covering the time frame of the party.
All Sober Driver tickets are valued at $10.00, and any costs above that amount are the sole responsibility of the rider.
Reminder: Checker Cab Company will only take riders directly to their home or a hotel. They will not stop at another party or establishment that sells alcohol. Passengers can utilize the same ticket as the driver if needed.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting