Breaking News

Man arrested after taking child April 19, 2014

Woman Dies in Cole Co. House Fire

An unattended cigarette may have started a house fire in St. Thomas, Wednesday, where a woman died.

According to reports from the Cole County Fire Protection District, the fire at 114 Profits Creek Road was called in around 12:16 p.m.

When crews got on the scene, heavy smoke was coming from the second floor of the home and the main floor was heavily involved in flames.

When crews did a search of the home, they found the body of Donna L. Monat, 52.

Monat’s son tried to get his mother out, but could not. He was treated for burns he suffered in the fire.

The first started in the living room area and the home is considered a total loss.

The State Fire Marshall’s Office is conducting an investigation into the fire, but fire district officials said there appeared to be nothing suspicious about the blaze.

An autopsy on Monat’s body is being scheduled to determine the exact cause of death.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments