Enjoying all aspects of sports reporting
This job has more perks than just getting outside the office
Sunday, June 12, 2011
For years, anytime someone’s asked me if I enjoy my job, my standard answer has been, how could I not? I get paid to watch games for a living. Sure, it’s an oversimplification, but for the most part, it’s an apt description.
And while that — the watching of games — still makes things fun, there are other times my job is enjoyable while doing just the opposite of that. Take this past week, for example.
Instead of being out in the fresh air watching baseball games, I was stuck inside. And even though I was simply watching a computer screen, I was still having tons of fun.
The first example came Tuesday, during Major League Baseball’s First-Year Player Draft.
Most years, there’s little reason to pay attention, knowing no one with local ties has a chance to be selected. Not so this time around, as those of us on the sports staff knew there was a good chance former area standouts ....
More like this story
- Be a good sport ... And parents, we’re not just talking to the kids
- 10 Questions with Flying Dragon Disc Golf Club’s Gary Braman
- Press Box: Just a couple of days left at the News Tribune
- It can be fun to watch something different
- Job-hoppers? Millennials may be getting bad rap when it comes to tenure
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting