Capitol's demise remembered
Sunday, January 30, 2011
With stone walls and an iron gate, the second Missouri Capitol in Jefferson City had a European influence architecturally. But it stood witness to most of Missouri’s first century.
Today, however, motorists pass over its ruins, covered by the north drive of the third Capitol. Saturday marks the 100th anniversary of the second Capitol fire.
In tribute to the heroic efforts of the volunteer fire department of the day, the Jefferson City Fire Department will host up to 30 pieces of fire equipment from local and surrounding area stations.
More like this story
- Shoe factory helped make JC top manufacturing city in state in 1909
- Former mercantile finds new life as restaurant
- Railroad depot connected state, people
- Storefront witnesses renewed interest in downtown Jefferson City living
- Jefferson City neighborhood recognized for its historic integrity, unique setting
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting