Tea Party speaker: Islam more than a religion
Local Muslim responds to comments
Saturday, February 26, 2011
By Michelle Brooks
The Capital Tea Party Patriots include educational programs at most of their twice-monthly meetings.
Author William Federer discussed “What Every American Needs to Know About the Qur’an and Islam,” also the title of one of his books, with about 50 attendees Thursday evening.
Other educational topics have included state sovereignty, how to lobby elected members and the licensing process for the Callaway II power plant. The group began meeting in the fall of 2010, averaging about 30 members.
Philip Todd, co-founder of the local group, heard Federer’s presentation at the Callaway County Tea Party meeting and wanted to bring him to Jefferson City.
Although everyone who attends any of the tea party’s meetings may not agree with all the opinions and issues discussed, Todd said they keep their meetings open to the public.
“There is hope for America, and it’s in this room,” Federer started out. He then continued a fast-paced presentation reviewing timelines, geographical conquests and religious ideology of Islam and its leaders.
Below are summaries of several points
Federer made. And following each are responses from Jefferson City Muslim Community member Iqbal Hussain.
• FEDERER: Islam is more than a religion; it is also a political and military system.
HUSSAIN: “Yes, Islam is a way of life. It gives you rules to live your life, has rights of people and rights of God. There is no military system, as in any system of government.”
• FEDERER: To be the best Muslim means following Mohammed’s footsteps of violence and forced conversion.
HUSSAIN: “There is no forced conversion. It is mentioned that there is no compulsion. The obedience has to be of free will.”
• FEDERER: It’s OK to lie to advance Islam.
HUSSAIN: “Absolutely no. The only time it is permitted is when someone is going to kill you, if you did not follow their orders.”
• FEDERER: In history, Islam made treaties until they were strong enough to ignore them — example, Mohammed emigrated to Medina for refuge and five years later had run off, killed or enslaved all the Jews there.
HUSSAIN: “The treaties cannot be broken until there is proved violation by the other party and with proper warnings.”
• FEDERER: Muslims act out of obedience, not out of conscience like Christians — so they may not hate or want to kill infidels, but will if they are ordered.
HUSSAIN: “Obedience is to God only and God does not want anyone to kill one of his creations. Everyone is from Adam and creation of God.”
• FEDERER: The American Bar Association supports Sharia Law, overriding the U.S. Constitution.
HUSSAIN: “Only in the religious matters (right to worship and at what time), not in civil or criminal law.”
• FEDERER: Unlike conflict based on geography during man’s 6,000 years on the earth, the goal of Islam is ideology, to change how people think and live.
HUSSAIN: “No. Everyone has to think for themselves.”
• FEDERER: There is no freedom of religion in current Islamic nations.
HUSSAIN: “So-called Islamic states are not Islamic but kingships or dictatorships. They make rules to keep their power, not to help Islam. They may use Islam for their cause, where it suits them. People are supposed to choose the best amongst them to be the rulers.”
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting