Today's Edition Elections Local Missouri National World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Newsletters Contests Special Sections Jobs

Seven offensive possessions, seven touchdowns.

Seven defensive trips to the field, six forced punts and the last halted by the end of the second quarter.

The Helias Crusaders efficiently took care of business Friday night, scoring each time they had the ball in the first half on their way to a 51-6 victory against the Capital City Cavaliers in their return to Adkins Stadium.

"We were dominating in the first half," Helias coach Chris Hentges said.

The Crusaders ran just 25 offensive plays in the first two quarters, but racked up 366 total yards and 14 first downs to go along with the seven touchdowns.

Defensively, the Crusaders limited to Cavaliers to 54 total yards on 24 plays in Capital City's wing-T offense. Ian Nelson accounted for 24 of those yards when he picked up a bad snap on a punt attempt and ran for Capital City's first first down.

"We were sound defensively throughout the first half, we didn't lose track of our assignments in what they were trying to run," Hentges said.

Alex Clement ran for Helias' first two touchdowns. His 6-yard run capped a six-play drive that totaled 67 yards on the game's first possession, while his 5-yard score ended a three-play, 40-yard drive with 6:46 left in the first quarter.

"He's a very good runner with the ball," Hentges said. "With his size, he can get behind the offensive line and stay hidden. But then he's elusive and sudden and can break some big gains.

"He sees an opening and he hits it."

The Crusaders needed just one play on their third possession to make it 20-0 when Alex Weaver hit Damon Johanns for a 49-yard touchdown.

Helias went back to the air to score a little more than a minute into the second quarter when Weaver tossed a screen pass to Clement and he weaved his way down the field for a 79-yard touchdown.

A 23-yard touchdown run by Weaver on Helias' next possession gave the Crusaders a 34-0 lead with 7:08 left in the half.

Weaver finished the game 6-of-7 passing for 201 yards and rushed for 41 yards on three carries.

The Helias reserves started to see the field midway through the second quarter. Ryan Klahr's 1-yard touchdown run with 4:16 on the clock pushed Helias' lead to 41-0.

Zach Wolken capped the first-half scoring by tossing a 51-yard pass to Klahr on a wheel route with 1:16 left in the half.

"We were able to get a lot of things accomplished in the pass game," Hentges said. "It was nice to be able to throw the ball down the field like we did."

Vinnie Calvaruso, who converted on six-of-seven PATs in the first half, recorded Helias' final points on a 24-yard field goal midway through the third quarter.

Helias ran less than 10 plays on offense in the final two quarters with the running clock.

"I was a little frustrated we didn't get off more snaps offensively," Hentges said. "But that's just the way it is with the running clock."

The Cavaliers, who continued to play hard in the second half despite the big deficit, got on the board with 3:59 remaining in the game on a 24-yard pass from Hayden Carroll.

Capital City (0-6 overall, 0-5 Central Missouri Activities Conference) will play Friday at Sedalia Smith-Cotton.

Class 4 No. 1 Helias (6-0, 4-0) will return Friday to Adkins Stadium for its first-ever meeting against the Jefferson City Jays (3-3, 3-1). The Jays extended their winning streak to three games Friday night with a 17-14 victory against the Hickman Kewpies in Columbia.

"It was good we had the chance to get familiar with our pre-game routine here this week," Hentges said.

Game time will be 7 p.m.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.