Today's Edition Local News Missouri News National News World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Jobs Newsletters Contests Search
story.lead_photo.caption After serving four years in the Navy aboard the U.S.S. Colorado, Hoechst received his discharge in March 1940 and returned to St. Louis to begin life as a civilian. Weeks after the Pearl Harbor attack, he re-enlisted and went on to serve in World War II aboard the U.S.S. Meade. Photo by Submitted photo

Editor's note: This article is the final of a two-part series highlighting the naval experiences of the late Fred Hoechst Jr. Read the first part here.

Related Article

Missouri veteran served aboard ship that searched for famed 1930s aviator

Read more

Spending the latter years of the Great Depression serving in the U.S. Navy, Fred Hoechst Jr. returned to St. Louis after his discharge in March 1940 to embark upon his life as a civilian. Although the previous four years had granted him a worldwide adventure aboard the battleship USS Colorado, little did Hoechst realize he would again don a sailor's uniform after the country was drawn into war.

In the months after leaving the service, the veteran began working for Laclede Gas and used some of the money he saved to purchase a 1940 Chevrolet. The following year, he and his fiancée, Ruth Gieson, were married before a justice of the peace in Imperial, Missouri, on Feb. 19, 1941. Weeks later, he went to work for the National Lead Company in south St. Louis.

"The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in the Hawaiian Islands on Dec. 7, 1941, marked the official entrance of the United States into World War II," noted the Atomic Heritage Foundation. "The attack caught American military personnel by surprise and was certainly costly, but it did not cripple the U.S. Navy as the Japanese had anticipated."

Still in their honeymoon period, Hoechst was caught up in the patriotic furor gripping the nation and made the decision to return to the U.S. Navy to apply his peacetime naval skills in potential combat. Enlisting on March 25, 1942, he was assigned to the engine room of a ship that would enter service several weeks later — the USS Meade (DD-602).

A Benson-class destroyer with a complement of 208 sailors, the USS Meade was commissioned on June 22, 1942, at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. According to a keepsake book given to members of the crew after the war, the ship "then had a shakedown cruise to Guantanamo Bay until 22 August."

With the war fully underway, the book goes on to explain there was little delay in deploying the USS Meade as they soon passed through the Panama Canal and "reported for duty to the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet on 28 August (1942)."

Hoechst ascended the enlisted ranks, becoming one of only 14 chief petty officers assigned to the ship. In the early weeks after their arrival in the Pacific, he and his fellow sailors kept the engines in optimal condition through the Battle of Guadacanal in November 1942, during which the Meade destroyed four Japanese transports and rescued 285 U.S. sailors from sunken vessels.

"A rapid change in locale followed," explained a small pamphlet maintained by Hoechst after the war. "After a brief period in Sydney, Australia, the Meade steamed to the Aleutian Islands to participate in the bombardment and occupation of Kiska and Attu. Finally in September 1943, a respite from duty was given the ship with a short overhaul on the West Coast."

Naval records reveal the Meade received only a momentary break from the action as she again sailed for the South Pacific, arriving in Wellington, New Zealand, on Oct. 29, 1943. Assigned to the Fifth Amphibious Force, the ship escorted Marines to the Battle of Tarawa the following month and again engaged in shore bombardments.

Danger abounded for the crew and contact with a submarine "was made on 22 November," noted the souvenir booklet printed for sailors of the Meade. "With the assistance of the USS Frazier, the sub was brought to the surface with depth charges, shelled and sunk," resulting in the capture of one Japanese sailor.

The USS Meade then sailed for Pearl Harbor to prepare for a return to the West Coast to undergo a major overhaul but was rerouted to provide close fire support for the Battle of Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands in early 1944.

Throughout the next several weeks, Hoechst and the crew of the Meade became part of Task Force 58 and were engaged in attacks against Pacific locations such as Palau, Yap, Hollandia, Truk and Ponape (Pohnpei). They were detached from the task force in April 1944 and began patrolling islands controlled by the Japanese.

"During a shore bombardment 'practice' on Milli (Atoll), the Meade came the closest in her Pacific career to being hit," recorded the Meade souvenir booklet. "The (Japanese) returned fire for the first time. However, no damage or casualties were received."

The closing of Hoechst's combat service approached when the Meade received orders to report to the West Coast for a much-needed overhaul in July 1944. Months later, they completed a shakedown and were sent to provide shore fire support in the liberation of the Philippines in the waning weeks of the war.

Following the Japanese surrender on Sept. 2, 1945, Hoechst received his discharge the following month on Oct. 25, 1945. During his naval career, he completed nearly 7 1/2 years of active service and earned an Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Ribbon with nine stars, which represented his participation in nine campaigns of the war.

After coming home to St. Louis, Hoechst returned to the National Lead Company, from where he went on to retire decades later. He and his wife raised one son, Jerry, and in their retirement years enjoyed bowling and traveling. Upon his passing in 1995, he was laid to rest in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.

A famed painter once explained that men like Hoechst were a dedicated type of individual. Through his actions, he demonstrated that sailors and those who embraced a life on the sea possessed a uniquely brave perspective and, despite being faced with the hardships of a life on the water, never made excuses to avoid embarking upon a nautical journey.

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible," wrote the late Vincent Van Gogh, "but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."

Jeremy P. mick writes on behalf of the Silver Star Families of America.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.