Today's Edition Local Missouri National World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Newsletters Contests Special Sections Jobs
story.lead_photo.caption Danaun Washington

A Jefferson City teenager has been sentenced to seven years in prison after a chase with authorities in October 2020.

Danaun Washington, 17, pleaded guilty during a hearing before Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem to second-degree assault, resisting arrest, unlawful use of a weapon, first-degree tampering with a motor vehicle and receiving stolen property.

Prosecutors dismissed a charge of armed criminal action. Prosecutors also dismissed a separate receiving stolen property case against Washington also filed in October 2020.

Officers were called for a report of a vehicle driving erratically around Memorial Park, according to a Jefferson City Police Department probable cause statement. Authorities said they had prior knowledge of a reported stolen vehicle with Arkansas license plates believed to be in the Jefferson City area, which matched the description of the vehicle seen around the park.

When officers arrived at the park, several people fled from the vehicle, one of whom was identified as Washington.

Washington refused officers' commands to stop and fled the area on foot. Officers pursued him across the park and into residential neighborhoods, eventually going behind houses in the 100 block of Westmore Drive to the west of the park.

As they attempted to capture Washington, one officer noticed he had a firearm.

An officer rounded the opposite side of a residence Washington had run behind and saw him in a "tactful position" with the firearm, which the officer believed indicated Washington was prepared to do an ambush-style attack with the firearm.

Officers approached Washington and ordered him to drop the firearm and lie on the ground. Washington tried to flee again but fell to the ground, landing on top of the firearm. With his hands underneath his body, near the firearm, he continued to refuse to cooperate.

It wasn't until additional officers arrived Washington surrendered and was taken into custody.

Authorities said the weapon found under Washington was a 9mm handgun loaded with ammunition.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.
/** **/