For more news about the COVID-19 coronavirus, access the News Tribune Health section.
Due to ongoing public health concerns surrounding the spread of COVID-19, or the novel coronavirus, Jefferson City's trash service provider is making some changes to operations.
Republic Services announced Monday some immediate changes to operations to ensure the safety of employees and customers.
The changes include:
- All trash must be bagged and placed into a Republic Services cart. Republic Services will not service any trash outside of carts or commercial containers, in an effort to limit exposure to their drivers.
- Residential curbside recycling in Jefferson City is suspended until further notice. Residents may use their recycle cart for bagged trash, and all items will be disposed of at the Jefferson City landfill. This measure is for the safety of employees and to ensure there is staffing available to provide essential trash services.
- All Spring Clean Ups and bulk pickups are suspended.
- Republic Services' offices are closed to the public. Anyone needing to pay a bill may do so by going online to RepublicServices.com, using the Republic Services mobile app or by calling 573-635-8805.
- The Jefferson City Landfill will be closed on Saturdays beginning with March 28 until further notice. All personal protective equipment must be worn when bringing loads into the landfill, including high-visibility vests and hard hats. Residents may bring their own PPE or purchase it from the landfill, but for public safety PPE cannot be loaned out.