Breaking:General Motors to invest $1.5 billion in Missouri plant
Today's Edition Local News Missouri News National News World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Jobs Newsletters Contests Search
story.lead_photo.caption Jefferson City Police Department patrol car (News Tribune file photo)

Jefferson City police continue to investigate two separate weapons incidents from Sunday afternoon.

According to police reports, the 911 Center began receiving calls at 3:17 p.m. of shots fired in the 1100 block of East Miller Street. Initial calls indicated one person had been shot and was being transported to Capital Region Medical Center by private vehicle.

Officers responded to Capital Region and East Miller, talking with witnesses who provided a suspect description and a suspect vehicle.

Based on that information, other officers went to the 500 block of East Elm Street where the suspect, Tyler McClinton, 18, of Jefferson City, resides. He was taken into custody and Monday afternoon Cole County prosecutors charged him with first-degree assault and armed criminal action in this case.

Investigators said they determined there was a physical altercation with several subjects on East Miller Street that led to shots being fired. It appeared the victim, a 20-year-old Jefferson City resident, was the target. As of Monday, he was being treated for a gunshot wound to his torso and his injuries were considered serious.

Witnesses said once the fight broke up, McClinton approached the victim with a pistol in his hand. He allegedly attempted to pistol the whip the victim before firing the pistol and striking the victim.

The victim later reportedly told investigators it was McClinton who had shot him. He said he was moving his brother away from this area when the fight broke out and McClinton eventually shot him.

Officers recovered four spent shell casings at the scene and witnesses said the casings were located in the area where McClinton had been standing when the shooting took place.

McClinton was located by authorities using his GPS ankle monitor approximately two hours after the weapons offense. He had been in the county's pre-trial release program for a pending robbery case from Dec.

When questioned, McClinton reportedly admitted to being at the scene of the fight, but denied he shot anyone or even had a weapon. Authorities claimed that McClinton later admitted to lying during the questioning to see how much witnesses had told officers during the investigation.

The second weapons offense call, which came at 3:44 p.m. while officers were still working the first incident, was for a stabbing victim in the 300 block of Cherry Street.

Responding officers found a 40-year-old man suffering from two stab wounds. The man was able to identify his assailant as his estranged wife and was able to provide a description of her vehicle and her likely destination.

He was transported to University Hospital in Columbia for further treatment.

Authorities in Moniteau County located the suspect, Alexus Munson, 21, of Tipton, and took her into custody. Cole County prosecutors charged Munson with one count of second-degree domestic assault Monday.

Munson was returned to Jefferson City and interviewed where she reportedly provided a statement, alleging she stabbed the victim only after being assaulted herself.

Investigators said the man's account of the incident disputes Munson's version.

A Jefferson City Police Department probable cause statement said the man told authorities that Munson had come to his residence to say goodbye to their children after a birthday party. She left, but then came back a few minutes later and the man wouldn't let her back in.

The man claimed Munson began kicking the front door. He had pushed Munson away from the door the man was stabbed in the arm with a knife she was holding. A witness told police Munson kicked the door and stabbed the man.

When interviewed by authorities, Munson said she had come to Jefferson City to get a hotel room and went to the man's residence to use his credit card because the hotel didn't accept cash. Munson said the man gave her the cash for the room plus $80 for a handgun he had previously purchased for her, but had taken back.

When she came to his residence Sunday, she said she was trying to get the gun back. When the man wouldn't comply, Munson said she walked to her vehicle and got her cellphone and a knife. She banged on the front door and was going to call the hotel about the charges, when the man, Munson said, opened the door, knocked her cell phone away, reached out and choked her. Munson said that was when she stabbed the man.

Authorities said Munson had no marks on her neck consistent with someone who might have been choked.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.