An effort to update one of Helias Catholic High School's main entrances is on schedule for completion in late fall, according to the school.
The "Crucifix Entrance," named for the statue of Jesus on the cross just inside the windows facing Swifts Highway, is part of the original 1956 building. It was the school's main entrance prior to the addition of the current main entrance in the 2017 expansion, but it remains a primary entrance for students.
The construction updates that began early this summer are intended to make the entrance more "functional and inviting," according to information provided by Director of Communications Rebecca Martin. Crews will also be renovating parts of Rackers Fieldhouse.
The Crucifix Entrance will be extended outward to include an atrium area along with roof coverings on both sides.
Crews have finished stonework around the face and pillars of the entrance, and inside, they are framing for drywall. They will also put in windows within the next few weeks. The crucifix statue will move forward into the expanded entryway, and crews will put in new lights overhead.
Rackers Fieldhouse, added in 1992, will be getting updates to its restrooms and locker rooms. Crews will also make cosmetic improvements to the lobby.
So far, crews have put in new lighting and are working on drywall. Soon they will lay new terrazzo flooring.
"We're so grateful to the Helias Catholic community for supporting this latest effort to make our school a welcoming place where students can learn and grow in a dynamic community with a deep sense of tradition," Helias Catholic President John Knight shared via email. "We can't wait to welcome our current Crusaders, alumni, families and friends to their renewed home at Helias Catholic!"