The Jefferson City Police Department will host a spooky Haunted Precinct this afternoon.
The event is 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the station, 401 Monroe St.
Participants are strongly encouraged to wear costumes.
The event is sponsored by Scholastic and the Jefferson City police cadets.
The department suggests some safety tips for the holiday:
• Parents should consider limiting children's Halloween activities to familiar homes and organizations as safe alternatives to door-to-door trick-or-treating.
• Wear bright, reflective costumes or add strips of reflective tape to costumes so you'll be more visible.
• Use hypoallergenic face paint and avoid masks -- especially if the eyeholes obstruct vision.
• Don't eat candy until parents have inspected it.
• Eat a snack before heading out to avoid the temptation to nibble.