Public Water Supply No. 2 of Morgan County on Friday received about $5 million through Missouri Department of Natural Resources community water infrastructure grants.
The water provider, which qualified for $4,890,080, was one of 40 community water supplies to receive funding through the program. DNR announced in May it would make about $410 million in grants available. The grants are intended to improve drinking water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure.
The program received requests for more than $2.4 billion in funding. It created scoring criteria to ensure limited funds were awarded to projects in a way to maximize the effect funds had. Applicants were scored based on financial need, engineering capability and necessity of their projects.
Funding was made available through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) State Fiscal Recovery Funds.
The Morgan County organization applied for a $4,993,080 project through the program. It qualified for $4,893,080; they city is responsible for $100,000 of the cost. The project ranked 32nd of 371 applications.
The city of Versailles had a project that ranked even higher, at 23rd. The project request was for $866,150. DNR approved a $684,258.50 grant and left the city responsible for $181,891.50.
The city of Laurie had the 40th-ranked project, valued at $2,202,160. DNR is to provide a grant for $2,179,660. The city is to provide $22,500.
Projects that qualified, but didn't receive grants, included:
• City of Meta, rank 57, $5,050,500 project, $50,500 Meta responsibility.
• City of Barnett, rank 59, $475,450 project, $40 Barnett responsibility.
• City of Chamois, rank 60, $3,215,000 project, $750,000 Chamois responsibility.
• City of Eldon, rank 85, $2,902,642 project, $710,000 Eldon responsibility.
• City of Tipton, rank 108, $822,292 project, $164,458.40 Tipton responsibility.
• Moniteau County Public Water Supply District No.1, rank 126, $3,524,210 project, $25,000 water district responsibility.
• City of Linn, rank 137, $3,192,000 project, $31,950 Linn responsibility.
• City of Russellville, rank 140, $819,720 project, $30,000 Russellville responsibility.
• City of Fulton, rank 223, $5 million project, $1.05 million Fulton responsibility.
• Missouri American Water, rank 298, $15 million project, $10 million responsibility.
• Public Water Supply District No. 5 Cole County, rank 317, $84,500 project, $4,500 water district responsibility.