Pets are like family, and we often want them to have the same adventures as we do. In Jefferson City, there are ample places for you and your furry friend to play outside, make a memory at an event, shop and eat. Discover some pet-friendly places to explore in the capital city this summer.
Go Outside and Play
There are a multiple parks and recreation areas in Jefferson City that any pet would enjoy, including Binder Park, Washington Park, the Community Park, Ellis-Porter Riverside Park, Aurora Park, East Miller Park, McKay Park, McClung Park, Green Berry Acres, Hough Park, Lavinia Park and Park Place.
Two of JC Parks give special treatment for canine companions.
• North Jefferson Recreation Area Dog Park offers a fenced, off-leash area for dogs to play freely among their furry friends. It is located adjacent to the Cedar City multipurpose building and the park features: two acres of frolicking grounds, park benches, a double gated entrance, a water source, waste disposal, big dog area and small dog area (30 pounds and under welcome). It is located at 810 Sandstone Street. For more information, visit jcparks.com/facility/dog-park.
• Memorial Park’s Hot Dippity Dog Swim: Outside of taking your dog to this scenic retreat, dogs can truly enjoy those “dog days” of summer while taking a dip with their primaries on the last day of Memorial Park Family Aquatic Center’s pool season from 6-7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 14. Once in the water, leashes may be removed, but owners must stay close to their dogs. When leaving the event, owners are encouraged to pick up a PupCup custard, courtesy of Culver’s. JC Parks advises to avoid swimming underwater and do not bring young children to swim during the event due to change in water quality once dogs enter the pool. For more information, visit jcparks.com/facility/dog-park.
Whether it is something for your pet or daily errands to the store, several Jefferson City stores allow some dogs and cats to enjoy shopping experiences in their businesses. Here are some of those pet-friendly stores in Jefferson City. Make sure to contact the store in advance to find out requirements and regulations of what types and sizes of pets are allowed before bringing Fido or Fluffy along.
• CJ’s Pet Online - 913 Leslie Blvd.
• Pay Way Feed Store – 812 Jefferson St.
• PetSmart – 721 Stoneridge Pkwy
• Premium Pets - 700 E McCarty St.
• Orscheln Farm & Home - 2304 Missouri Blvd.
• Lowe’s – 3441 Missouri Blvd.
Grab a Bite
Several Jefferson City restaurants allow furry friends to dine with their family on their outdoor patios. Here is just a sampling of those locations; pick a pet-friendly patio and bon appetite! Remember, it is always best to call in advance to make sure a restaurant can accommodate your pet.
• Arris Pizza – 117 W. High St.
• Big Whiskey’s American Restaurant – 623 W McCarty St., Suite 1a
• Cold Stone Creamery – 610 Wildwood Dr.
• Culver’s – 1920 Jefferson St.
• Gumbo Bottoms Ale House – 221 Madison St.
• Firehouse Subs - 2103 Missouri Blvd.
• Freddys Frozen Custard & Steakburgers – 2103 Missouri Blvd #A
• J Pfenny’s Sports Grill & Pub – 215 E. High St.
• JQ’s on High- 911 East High St.
• Last Flight Brewing Company – 738 Heisinger Rd.
• Madison’s Café – 216 Madison St.
• Paddy Malone’s Pub – 700 W Main St.
• Sonic Drive-In:
314 Ellis Blvd. – 573-769-9114
1711 E. Elm St. – 573-632-2740
201 Commercial St. - 573-634-9033
• Sweet Smoke BBQ:
• Downtown Location - 127 E. High St., 573-761-0617
• Sweet Smoke BBQ Westside Location – 3530 Country Club Dr.