Looking to kick off the New Year on some scenic state trails? Join Missouri State Parks in the annual First Day Hikes tradition.
On Jan. 1, guests can take a guided hike in a Missouri State Park to catch some fresh air and exercise in the great outdoors.
Here are a few participating locations within an hour or so of Jefferson City; a complete list can be found at mostateparks.com/FirstDayHikes.
• Arrow Rock State Historic Site, Arrow Rock -- 8-11 a.m., meet in the visitor center parking lot.
• Bennett Spring State Park, Lebanon -- 10-11:30 a.m., meet at the Natural Tunnel/Savanna Ridge Trailhead parking lot.
• Bothwell Lodge State Historic Site, Sedalia -- 1-2 p.m., meet at the kiosk new Stonyridge Trail.
• Ha Ha Tonka State Park, Camdenton -- 10 a.m.-noon, meet at Post Office Shelter.
• Graham Cave State Park, Danville -- 10 a.m.-noon, meet at Lower Day-Use Area Pavilion.
• Katy Trail State Park, McBaine -- 8:30-10:30 a.m., meet at the McBaine Trailhead.
• Katy Trail State Park and Rock Island Spur, Windsor -- 1:30-2:30 p.m., meet at the Windsor Trailhead.
• Knob Noster State Park, Knob Noster -- 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., meet at the Buteo Trailhead.
• Lake of the Ozarks State Park, Kaiser -- 10 a.m.-noon, meet at the Hidden Springs Trailhead.
• Rock Bridge Memorial State Park, Columbia (guided tour) -- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., meet at Devil's Icebox/Rock Bridge parking lot.
• Rock Bridge Memorial State Park, Columbia (self-guided hike) -- open sunrise to sunset, meet at Devil's Icebox/Rock Bridge parking lot.
Registration is required for all hikes, and social distancing is strongly encouraged to protect guests amid the ongoing pandemic. Missouri State Parks advises those participating to avoid large crowds, bring hand sanitizer and bottled water, and stay home if sick. For more information on state parks and historic sites, visit mostateparks.com.