Today's Edition Local Missouri Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo HER Magazine Events Classifieds Newsletters Election '22 Contests Jobs Special Sections National World

Electrical problem believed to have caused Centertown structure fire

by Jeff Haldiman | December 10, 2021 at 4:00 a.m.

No one was injured after a structure fire Tuesday afternoon in Centertown.

According to Regional West Fire Protection District reports, the home at Mill and Marion streets was an older, one-story home.

Firefighters were called out around 4:30 p.m. after a neighbor reported seeing smoke coming from the roof of the structure.

The owner had been inside and didn't see any fire inside. Firefighters got into the attic and located flames in the middle of the home at the bottom of the attic.

They went back inside and using a thermal camera located a hotspot in a wall and found the fire there. It was believed the fire had been smoldering for a few hours in the wall and eventually broke into the attic.

Fire officials said the cause of the fire was electrical in nature since the owner reported having ongoing problems with squirrels getting in the attic and chewing on wires there.

Print Headline: Electrical problem believed to have caused Centertown structure fire


Sponsor Content


Recommended for you