Forwhatitisworth: less than 2% of the city's population attends the stand in the street and drink events. That is encouraging to me. There are so many family oriented and productive and healthy activities a person can do and that's where the other 98% of our residents spent their time .ttheir time.
I only attend (once a year) to see if there has been a change for the better and to see if there is an actual event that happens to also have alcohol or if alcohol is still the only focus. It is still. There is nothing to do but stand in the street. I saw it first hand last week. lol That's okay, it just seems mindless to me. Like sheep in the field. baaaaa baaaa
By the way, I have attended Thursday Night Live this year and every year so far, even before it was called TNL and it truly is a stage with some bands surrounded by two blocks of peeps intoxicating themselves as they stand, looking aimlessly at one another wondering how this is what they ended up doing with their time while there is so much at home that needs to be done.
I'm sure Jill Snodgrass does all she is able to do to make the event as upstanding as any beer garden can be. Jill is a very hard working, determined person. The trash remaining on the street the day after, and the interruption in the flow of traffic for a day and a half due to the giant stage closing one of our city's main streets from Wednesday evening and all day Thursday, are just a couple of the side effects of this kind of behavior. (Madison used to be the US 54 route btw).
The good news is, 98% of the residents in our city are NOT standing in the streets drinking alcohol as if they had to be entertained like college kids. The crowd at TNL is an extremely small % of the city population. MOST residents are being productive at ball games with kids and family and friends or mowing their lawns, or gardening, or being creative, or having a bbq with family and friends.... or dining out at a restaurant... etc... The Thurs. night bar crowd is a very small portion of our population, and that is the good news.
This quote from Snodgrass is beyond ridiculous. "When alcohol is involved, parents have to keep track of their kids. We want to keep it a family event,” she said.
The truth is, kids aren't allowed in bars for good reasons: 1) it's not that difficult to pour drinks from their cup into whatever cup you are holding. 2) Drunk parents can't take care of their kids. Thursday Night Live is simply a trashy beer garden in the middle of our beautiful downtown. Downtown is not so beautiful on Friday mornings. It's covered with trash.
Did you ever notice that our "community leaders/officials" who preach "just say no to drugs and alcohol,' and also tour schools with their CHARACTER PLUS-like programs telling kids that "you don't need drugs and alcohol to have fun" will do an about-face and spend the month of June advertising that you are a nobody in the community unless you attend the Thursday Night Live drunkfests and the other "festival districts" in town. This is where the streets are roped off, alcohol is served, and a few musicians are yelling from a stage and you stand and drink in the street with the same people you see all over town everyday anyhow. lol
This must be confusing to kids who believed the "just say no" campaigns.
Sequoias have a shallow root system with no tap root, thus, toppling over is a leading cause of death. You, Sequoia, are shallow as well. Both the writer and the subject are fine young men from Jefferson City who have served our country and are productive, successful citizens.
You are jealous because you have no pulpit to speak from like they do, and you have no audience who will listen to you. Move on. Become productive. Then maybe YOU will have something worth listening to.
There are "private" meetings and gatherings of groups and individuals in the Capitol all day long, each day that it is open. A private gathering is a ridiculous reason to complain. The busts are paid for with private funds. Why pretend to be miffed that YOU weren't invited if you don't like Rush anyhow? Rush speaks the facts/truth to a large audience daily, thank God. This is what bothers those who don't want the truth known. He is none of the nasty things he's been called, which you would know if you listened to him. While you're complaining, he's busy explaining why our country needs to get out of debt, and how to do it. His main theme is stop spending more than we have, to keep your hands off other people's money, and get the govt. out of the way of business and growth and jobs. He preaches hard work and unlimited success for all who are willing to earn it. NO WONDER HE IS HATED BY PEOPLE WHO WANT HANDOUTS AND LUXURY WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT THEMSELVES. Your greed will get you. Rush deserves all he has and you deserve all that you DON'T have.
I think GOD wants ALL of you to kiss and make up.
Last login: Friday, June 14, 2013
© 2014 News Tribune Publishing.