September 14, 2012
A glass pyramid covers the remains of African slaves at the home of Ana de la Merced Guimaraes in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In 1996, Merced Guimaraes and her husband bought a fixer-upper in the historic port-side neighborhood of Gamboa. Once they started digging, they made a discovery: the building sat atop the “cemetery of new blacks,” the burial place of newly arrived Africans who died soon after their arrival in Brazil between 1769 and 1830.
Stories this photo appears in:
Wearing full-skirted white dresses and turbans, the religious leaders chanted blessings and sprinkled water on the concrete floor of a modest house near this city’s port.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting