January 30, 2011
The second Capitol in Jefferson City was built in 1840 and remodeled after the Civil War to add wings for the House and Senate. The building was destroyed by fire after a lightning strike on Feb. 5, 1911.
Stories this photo appears in:
With stone walls and an iron gate, the second Missouri Capitol in Jefferson City had a European influence architecturally. But it stood witness to most of Missouri’s first century.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting