Charles William Morris
Charles William Morris, 92, of Jefferson City, died Friday, February 10, 2012, at his home surrounded by his family. He was born October 2, 1919, in Clifton Hill, a son of Robert E. and Grace B. (Freeman) Morris. He attended Gill County grade school in Clifton Hill and was a 1937 graduate of Clifton Hill High School. He joined the Conservation Commission Camps in 1938, and while in the CC Camps attended Moberly Junior College. In May 1941, Charles was drafted into the U.S. Army Infantry. After a year, he went to Communication School at Scott Field. He graduated a 2nd Lieutenant from Army Air Corps Reserve in 1942 and worked in the Army Airways Communication System. Charles attended flight training in 1943-1944 and graduated as a C47 and B25 transport pilot. During World War II he flew the CBI HUMP in the China-Burma-India theatre. Following the war, he went back to school at the University of Missouri-Columbia under the GI bill, graduating in 1949 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. He moved to Jefferson City in 1949 and was a Material and Research Engineer for the Missouri Highway Department from 1949-1951. Charles was called back to serve his country during the Korean War. He retired from the Air Force Reserves as a Lieutenant Colonel after 20 years of military service. After his military retirement, Charles went back to the Missouri Highway Department in the bridge office from 1953-1956. He taught at the University of Missouri-Columbia for six years while getting his Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, focusing on wind power. He worked for the Missouri Division of Health from 1963-1967. In 1967, Charles joined the Public Service Commission, investigating gas explosions until his retirement from the state in 1977. Charles designed, built and owned Schumate Chapel Mobile Homes, Inc. He was a licensed HAM radio operator. He enjoyed nature and to be outdoors; he always lived on a farm and tended to his own garden. His love was wind power and building his own underground earth contact solar home. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church and the church's Men's Club and Happy Drifters, and also belonged to the Capitol City Wings RV Club. On July 25, 1942, Charles was united in marriage in Moberly to Martha Sue Breusch, who survives at their home. Other survivors include five children: Dr. Charles D. Morris and wife Sue of Rolla, Dale R. Morris and wife Linda of Jefferson City, Carlos M. Morris and wife Sharon of DeSoto, Kevin A. Morris of Jefferson City, Kara S. Suthoff of Jefferson City; 14 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren, three nieces and one nephew. He was preceded in death by two brothers, Edward L. Morris and J.W. Morris; one sister, Margaret Freeman; and two grandchildren, Melissa Morris in 1981 and Kevin Michael Morris in 1996. Friends will be received from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. Sunday at the Houser-Millard Funeral Home. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Monday, February 13, 2012, at Trinity Lutheran Church with Rev. Russ Bowder and Rev. Samuel Powell officiating. Entombment with full military honors will follow in the Riverview Cemetery Mausoleum. Expressions of sympathy may be made to the Salvation Army or Hospice. Arrangements are under the direction of Houser-Millard Funeral Directors, 2613 W. Main St., (573) 636-3838. Condolences may be left for the family online at www.millardfamilychapels.com
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting