Jefferson City, MO 67° View Live Radar Wed H 85° L 62° Thu H 87° L 65° Fri H 87° L 67° Weather Sponsored By:

Your Opinion: Short-term rentals create serious problems for homeowners

Your Opinion: Short-term rentals create serious problems for homeowners

February 10th, 2019 in Opinion

Martha Kleindienst

Jefferson City

Dear Editor:

In January 2018 the Jefferson City Planning and Zoning Commission started allowing “Short-term rental permits (Airbnbs) in residential or commercial dwelling.” This has adversely affected me, and it could do the same to you.

Any resident within the city limits can apply for this permit. Although a subdivision has restrictions against rentals, the city has no jurisdiction over covenants and will allow short-term rental in any subdivision. There are very few city requirements associated with short-term rentals. (

There have been seven applications for short-term rental (Airbnb) presented to the City Planning and Zoning Commission. All have been approved. Five are in commercial areas and two are in highly dense residential areas. Five of these applicants have been approved by the City Council. One of the two yet to be approved by the council is located in my area.

I live in the Cedar Hill Elementary School area. You can go for blocks around our areas and you will not find any commercial establishments. My street is off the beaten path with very little traffic passing through. It’s a very quiet, quaint, close-net, safe neighborhood. For safety reasons I do not like the idea of transients coming in and out of the neighborhood.

An internet search shows various problems with Airbnbs, including many disgruntled neighbors complaining about loud parties, dogs walking and leaving feces on their property and problems with parking. Last week, had a story about swinger clubs using Airbnbs for their meeting place. (“Kansas City locals living mysterious private lives”)

A short-term permit could be disastrous to any neighborhood. Your covenant will not protect you. I would encourage each of you who live in a residential neighborhood to contact your councilmen and voice your concerns.