Jefferson City, MO 72° View Live Radar Sat H 83° L 67° Sun H 88° L 70° Mon H 87° L 73° Weather Sponsored By:

Tossed cigarette blamed for fire at home

Tossed cigarette blamed for fire at home

February 26th, 2014 by The News Tribune in News

Residents of a home at 808 Clark Ave. can only watch as firefighters battle a blaze that filled the immediate area with smoke Tuesday morning. It is believed the fire started on the porch in the back of the residence and moved to the attic area. The American Red Cross sent an emergency response team to the scene to assist the displaced residents.

A discarded cigarette led to a Tuesday morning fire that displaced residents of a Jefferson City home.

Fire officials said the fire at 808 Clark Ave. was called in just before 10:30 a.m.

The fire started on a deck and then traveled to the interior of the home. No one was hurt in the fire. Damage was estimated at $30,000.

According to Red Cross officials, they received a call from a passer-by about the fire and that people were standing out in the yard.

Two volunteers responded to the scene and made initial contact with the clients, who decided to meet with the Red Cross later in the afternoon. The families consisted of four adults and two children, ages 3 and 4.

The Red Cross provided the clients with financial assistance to meet their immediate emergency needs with the purchase of food and two-nights in a local hotel.

Volunteers will follow up with the clients to monitor their recovery.