Jefferson City, MO 60° View Live Radar Wed H 88° L 66° Thu H 89° L 67° Fri H 90° L 68° Weather Sponsored By:

No 19 Saint Louis gets past George Mason in OT

No 19 Saint Louis gets past George Mason in OT

February 1st, 2014 in News

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Roe Loe missed his first two 3-point shots but he shook that off to make his next three for No. 19 Saint Louis.

Rob Loe scored 10 of his career high 23 points in overtime to help the Billikens edge George Mason 87-81 on Saturday.

Loe hit a 3-point shot to tie the game at 68 with 44 seconds to play and then hit a 3-pointer to start overtime, giving the Billikens the lead for good.

"Everyone wants to hit a big shot like that," said Loe, who entered the game hitting only 28 percent of his 3-point attempts. "I was open. Austin (McBroom) got me the ball. I shot it and it went in. That was good and it carried on into overtime."

Saint Louis (20-2, 7-0 Atlantic 10) has reeled off 14 victories in a row, the sixth-longest active winning streak in the country. The winning streak ties the school record.

It is the first time the Billikens have been 20-2 in school history.

Four other Billikens reached double figures - Jordair Jett with 18, Mike McCall Jr. with 15, McBroom with 14 and Dwayne Evans 12.

George Mason, the newest member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, lost its eighth consecutive game. The Patriots, who came to the A-10 from the Colonial Athletic Association, fell to 7-14 overall and an 0-7 mark in A-10 play.

"Anytime you lose it's disappointing," George Mason coach Paul Hewitt said. "To come on the road and play a team the quality like Saint Louis the way we did, I'm very proud of our players. We gave ourselves a chance."

Bryon Allen scored 30 points and Patrick Holloway added 15 for George Mason (7-14, 0-7).

"It was very disappointing because we saw for the first 40 minutes we executed very well and competed on every play," Allen said. "It was frustrating for us in overtime. They started overtime with a big 3 and that was a big-time 3 and that gave them the momentum."

It was the first meeting between the schools. Allen hit a 3-pointer and jump shot to give George Mason a 35-31 lead less than 3 minutes into the second half.

George Mason led by seven three times. The final time came with 7:32 to play after Allen hit a 3-pointer to make it 60-53.

"There were many times we could have been deflated," Saint Louis coach Jim Crews said. "But we did not get deflated. We kept trying to make them do the next right thing. Our guys did good job of sticking with it."

Saint Louis cut the lead to 66-65 with 2:45 to play on a layup by Jett.

A tip-in by Erik Copes, who finished with 10 points, gave the Patriots a 3-point lead before Loe hit his long shot to tie it.

The Patriots' Jalen Jenkins missed a jumper at the buzzer, sending the game into overtime.

"At the end, we weren't going to let them score," McBroom said.

The Billikens entered the game ranked first in the A-10 in field goal percentage defense (.382) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.276).

The Patriots hit 51 percent on 35 of 68 shooting from the floor. George Mason hit 5 of 8 from beyond the 3-point arc.

George Mason shot just seven free throws, making six. Saint Louis was called for just 11 fouls.

"We played good defense and didn't foul," Crews said.

The Billikens canned 23 of 25 free-throw attempts.

The Patriots outrebounded Saint Louis 39-30. In the second half, George Mason had 12 offensive rebounds to just six for the Billikens.

"They ate us up on the boards in the second half," Crews said. "Not until the final buzzer did I feel like we dodged anything."

Saint Louis led 27-26 at halftime. There were seven lead changes and five ties in the half.

The Billikens played the first 13:59 before being called for a foul and had just three total in the first half.

Saint Louis last played in overtime March 6 and lost at Xavier.