Jefferson City, MO 73° View Live Radar Wed H 63° L 45° Thu H 68° L 47° Fri H 66° L 45° Weather Sponsored By:

Car jumps onto NYC sidewalk, hurts 8; man arrested

Car jumps onto NYC sidewalk, hurts 8; man arrested

June 19th, 2013 in News

Fire authorities say eight people have been hurt, several of them seriously, after a car jumped a curb and slammed into a 24-hour grocery around 7 a.m. Wednesday. A witness says the driver lost control about a block away and plowed through everything on the sidewalk.

Photo by The Associated Press /News Tribune.

NEW YORK (AP) - A car rocketing down an avenue in Manhattan's dense East Village swerved out of control, plowed down a sidewalk and smashed through a storefront flower stand Wednesday morning, injuring eight people, witnesses and officials said.

A 60-year-old grocery store worker was critically hurt in the 6:30 a.m. crash, which left half a city block in shambles.

Police arrested the driver, Shaun Martin, who they said was driving under the influence of either alcohol or drugs.

Investigators were still trying to determine how fast the car was moving, but one witness who saw the wreck unfold said he saw two vehicles racing down Second Avenue at a frightening speed.

"They were swerving around cars. When the white car swerved right, it lost control," said Dr. Alvaro Alban.

The vehicle, a rented Nissan Altima, smashed through everything on the sidewalk, including a 25-foot-tall tree, a telephone booth, parked bicycles, a parking kiosk and a street sign.

"Everything that was in the way, he took it out," said bystander Rafael Fuentes.

The car crashed through the market's flower stand, overturning an outdoor refrigerator case.

Several people were hospitalized, including three workers at the grocery store. One cyclist in the city's new bike-share program was hit by a flying fire hydrant, police said.

Police said Martin, 32, of Queens, has faced charges before for drug possession and drunken driving. Detail on the outcome of those cases wasn't immediately available.

He was in custody and unavailable to comment Wednesday afternoon.

A police spokesman said investigators were looking into reports that a second car had also been speeding down the street.

The other car never stopped, Alban said.