The Jefferson City Fire Department is asking residents to have heating and appliances checked by a reputable service company for winter use.
Space heaters should be UL listed, have tip switches and be kept clear of combustibles. Gas furnaces should be checked and venting systems checked to prevent carbon monoxide leaking into living areas.
Wood-burning appliances require special attention. Firefighters suggest residents:
• Have flues cleaned and checked before using stoves or appliances;
• Install stoves according to manufacturer's specifications and consult local building codes;
• Notify insurance carriers to ensure policy covers wood appliance installation;
• Burn only seasoned wood;
• Do not burn trash in wood stoves;
• Do not vent solid fuel appliance into gas vent;
• Allow stove to burn hot to before closing air vents;
• Deposit ashes only in a metal can and store in safe place;
• Do not use flammable liquids to start fires;
• Install and maintain smoke detectors and carbon dioxide detectors in homes.