Jefferson City, MO 73° View Live Radar Tue H 72° L 51° Wed H 61° L 41° Thu H 68° L 48° Weather Sponsored By:

Fireplace cited in condo complex fire

Fireplace cited in condo complex fire

April 24th, 2013 in News

The state fire marshal has confirmed the beliefs of Osage Beach fire officials that a fire that damaged a Lake of the Ozarks condominium complex this past weekend started in the fireplace of one of the second-floor units.

On Tuesday, Osage Beach Fire Protection District Chief Jeff Dorhauer released a statement from the fire marshal who worked with insurance investigators on their findings in the fire at Lakewood Condominiums.

"The investigation found that new propane gas log sets in the fireplace boxes had been set to close to combustible material," the statement read. "The subsequent lighting of the fireplace by the occupants in unit 401 caused the combustible material to heat to its ignition temperature."

A damage estimate still is being determined.

Minor smoke and exterior siding damage was sustained to buildings on either side of building 400.

No one was injured.