Jefferson City, MO 91° View Live Radar Tue H 85° L 70° Wed H 81° L 64° Thu H 79° L 59° Weather Sponsored By:

Fire destroys home of Callaway veterinarian

Fire destroys home of Callaway veterinarian

February 20th, 2012 in News

Smoking debris at the home of Kitty Barnett, 3710 Route KK, is all that remains after a fire erupted last week. Barnett, a Fulton veterinarian, and her son, Travis, were at home when the fire started. They were not injuried but two cats died in the fire.

Photo by Don Norfleet

Fulton veterinarian Kitty Barnett and her son Travis were at home last week when a fire that destroyed her rural residence started.

Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

"I heard a loud pop," Barnett said, "I think the fire may have been caused by an electrical malfunction. The fire started in the living room near an electrical power strip."

"It moved so fast," Barnett said. "We tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher but the fire spread so rapidly."