Jefferson City, MO 33° View Live Radar Sat H 62° L 47° Sun H 58° L 48° Mon H 64° L 47° Weather Sponsored By:

Bloody confrontation with officers happened during investigation

Bloody confrontation with officers happened during investigation

December 7th, 2012 in News

A Stover man was arrested Tuesday after stabbing himself multiple times at his residence.

Ronald J. Blowers, 25, was charged Wednesday with resisting arrest creating substantial risk of serious injury, a class D felony, and assault on a law enforcement officer in the second degree with a deadly weapon. He is being held on $1 million bond.

Shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday, Missouri Highway Patrol and Morgan County Sheriff's officers went to 33226 Sunset Road in Stover in relation to a stolen gun and double homicide investigation, according to a patrol probable cause statement.

The homicides being investigated at the time involved the shooting deaths of Wayne Louis Wells, 82, and Mable Irene Wells, 71, whose bodies were found inside their home south of Stover about 11 a.m. Tuesday. So far, no suspects have been named and no charges have been filed in that case, which continues to be investigated with various leads being pursued.

Upon arrival at Blowers' residence Tuesday evening, officers saw Blowers in the driveway, walking toward them. His shirt was allegedly saturated in blood, and he had a fixed blade knife in his right hand. According to the statement, Blowers allegedly began stabbing himself in the stomach repeatedly and said, "I did not mean to do it."

The report said Patrol Sgt. David Rice ordered Blowers to drop the knife, but the man ran from officers toward nearby woods. Blowers then allegedly ran up Sunset Road towards Wilderness Way. The law enforcement officers confronted Blowers multiple times at gunpoint and ordered him to drop the knife, but he refused.

At one point, Blowers allegedly walked within a few feet of the officers, waving the knife and telling them he wanted to go home.

According to the patrol statement, Rice blocked Blowers from walking to his house and ordered him to drop the knife. Blowers again refused and fled from the officers. For some 20 minutes, Blowers kept away from the officers while waving the knife. He stabbed himself in the stomach area multiple times throughout the incident, Rice said.

Additional law enforcement officers arrived and attempted to use a Taser on Blowers without effect, then used pepper spray on him. Blowers finally was tackled by officers, but continued to fight them untill he was subdued and the knife was seized.

He later was taken to University Hospital in Columbia with non-life threatening wounds.