CARTHAGE, Mo. (AP) - A rural Carthage woman credits a Joplin Globe newspaper carrier with possibly saving her life after a pasture fire got within 20 feet of her home.
The Globe (http://bit.ly/NgHWsP) reports Diane Edmondson was making her regular rounds at about 3:30 a.m. Friday when she noticed flames in the distance. She saw there were no lights on in a nearby home, so she stopped and knocked on the door.
Edmondson and the home's resident, Ruby Harker, used a hose to keep the flames at bay until firefighters arrived.
Harker says if it wasn't for Edmondson, her home and others in the area might have burned down, and Harker could have been killed.
Carthage Fire Department Capt. Jason Martin says the drought has caused an escalated risk of fires in the area.