An unattended cigarette may have started a house fire in St. Thomas, Wednesday, where a woman died.
According to reports from the Cole County Fire Protection District, the fire at 114 Profits Creek Road was called in around 12:16 p.m.
When crews got on the scene, heavy smoke was coming from the second floor of the home and the main floor was heavily involved in flames.
When crews did a search of the home, they found the body of Donna L. Monat, 52.
Monat's son tried to get his mother out, but could not. He was treated for burns he suffered in the fire.
The first started in the living room area and the home is considered a total loss.
The State Fire Marshall's Office is conducting an investigation into the fire, but fire district officials said there appeared to be nothing suspicious about the blaze.
An autopsy on Monat's body is being scheduled to determine the exact cause of death.