In order to reduce the deaths, injuries, and accidents which are directly related to impaired driving during the New Year's holiday, the Jefferson City Police Department is reminding citizens that they can use the Sober Driver Program Campaign to get back to their homes safely.
The community based program provides free taxi rides to individuals who have become too impaired to legally or safely drive or to passengers who choose not to ride with an impaired driver.
In 2010, more than 2000 rides were given to impaired individuals.
From an establishment that sells alcohol by the drink.
• Patrons or a business representative should call 636-7102 for a free ride home.
• A Checker Cab will be dispatched to your location.
• A Sober Driver ticket will be presented to the individual needing a ride by the business and that ticket is then presented to the driver of the cab for the ride home.
From private parties that have acquired tickets in advance.
• Tickets for party guests can be acquired prior to the event by calling Fechtel Beverage at 636-5161 or Sgt. Doug Ruediger at the police department, 634-6397.
• Tickets acquired for private parties will have expiration dates covering the time frame of the party.
All Sober Driver tickets are valued at $10.00, and any costs above that amount are the responsibility of the rider.
A reminder that Checker Cab Company will only take riders directly to their home or a hotel. They will not stop at another party or establishment that sells alcohol.