Jefferson City, MO 51° View Live Radar Sat H 63° L 31° Sun H 59° L 40° Mon H 67° L 43° Weather Sponsored By:

Murder Charges Filed in Double Homicide

Murder Charges Filed in Double Homicide

December 12th, 2011 in News

A Dent County man, who led authorities on a high-speed chase that ended in a shootout in Jefferson City Saturday night has been charged with two counts of homicide.

Court documents show Marvin Rice, 44, Salem, was officially charged Monday with two counts of first-degree murder.

According to the probable cause statement from the Missouri Highway Patrol, around 6:35 p.m. Saturday night, the patrol was called in to investigate the deaths of Annette Durham, 32, and Steven Strotkamp, 39, both of Salem.

The two victims were reportedly shot and killed in their residence, apparently dying from wounds to the torso.

There were indications of forced entry at the residence.

Six expended .40 caliber shell casings and two expended .40 caliber bullets were recovered from the residence.

Investigators learned there were reportedly on-going custody issues between Marivn and Annette involving the custody of their two-year-old child, Ayden Rice.

An interview with Annetee's daughter, Shailey Crabtree, 6, determined she and her brother, Ayden, were in the home at the time of the shooting.

Shailey specifically identified the gunman as Marvin Rice.

She also said, "I don't like Marvin any more. He killed my mommy. And Steven didn't have anything to do with it."

Shailey said she saw Marvin enter her mother's bedroom where she and Ayden were hiding.

Marvin then physically removed Ayden from the residence while armed with what Shailey decribed as a "handgun."

A short time later, Shailey ran from the residence to contact occupants at a nearby residence.

Ayden was later found uninjured and in the custody of Kelly Rice, Marvin's current spouse.

Kelly had in her possession a handwritten document which expressed his intentions to leave Ayden with Kelly.

A short time later, a Dent County sheriff's deputy determined through a cell phone carrier that Marvin was going north on U.S. 63 in Maries County.

Information was sent out to area law enforcement agencies and eventually authorities got into a pursit with Marvin.

Spike strips were deployed near the Osage River and other locations along U.S. 50 as the chase entered Jefferson City.

Eventually, Marvin made it to the Capital Plaza Hotel, where he abandoned his vehicle, ran into the hotel and got into a gun battle with officers before being wounded and apprehended.

A .40 caliber pistol was later seized from Rice.

Sunday, Rice was interviewed at the University of Missouri Hospital in Columbia, where he had been taken for treatment of his wounds.

During the interview Rice admitted to shooting Annette Durham and Steven Strotkamp over the custody of Ayden Rice and also said he fired shots at officers at the hotel Saturday night.