An electrical malfunction appears to be the cause of a structure fire in Cole County early Saturday morning.
The Cole County Fire Protection District received a call at approximately 1:46 a.m. to respond to a structure fire at 2207 Honey Creek Road.
Assistant Fire Chief Mike Rackers said that while there was a slight mix-up in which the Osage Fire Protection District was originally contacted before his department was called out. 20 firefighters responded to a unoccupied residence to put out the fire.
Rackers said the fire appears to have started in a utility room and produced extensive damage to a first floor addition to the residence. He said there is no investigation planned.