A faulty wood stove caused a Sunday morning fire that destroyed a Cole County home and displaced a family of four.
The Cole County Fire Protection District responded to 3303 Rademan Lane, off Frog Hollow Road, about 7:26 a.m. The home is owned by John Baysinger, who lived there with a woman and two children.
Lt. Larry Barnard <!-- said Baysinger discovered the fire and alerted the woman, who was coughing from smoke inhalation when she left the house, but declined treatment. The children were not in the home at the time, he said.
"It appeared to be a wood stove that had some damage to it," possibly caused by rust, he said. "Something allowed flames to leave the stove."
Barnard said that with the higher cost of heating fuels, people are burning more wood and using more alternate heating sources such as space heaters. "Make sure they're in good operating condition and have them checked by a professional," he advised.
He -->said the fire caused about $200,000 in damage.
Beth Bauer, regional CEO with the local American Red Cross chapter, said the Red Cross put family members in a hotel and is taking care of their immediate needs for food and clothing.