Today's Edition Local News Missouri News National News World Opinion Obits Sports GoMidMo Events Classifieds Jobs Newsletters Search
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
story.lead_photo.caption Photo by News Tribune / News Tribune.

An overloaded electrical outlet was the cause for a fire Monday evening at a home in Jefferson City.

Jefferson City Fire Department reports show the fire was called in at 5:48 p.m.

Smoke was coming from the lower level of the home in the 1100 block of Major Drive when firefighters arrived on the scene.

The family had been alerted by a smoke detector and gotten out before fire crews arrived.

The investigation found the overloaded outlet was in a basement bedroom.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the bedroom. There was water damage to the basement and smoke damage throughout the home.

While none of the family of six were injured, a family pet did die in the fire.

The Red Cross is assisting the family as fire officials said it will be a few days before they can get back in the home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT