No injuries were reported after a stove fire Wednesday night forced the evacuation of a dormitory at Lincoln University.
Firefighters responded just before 9 p.m. to a report of smoke at Scruggs Hall in the 800 block of Locust Street, according to reports from the Jefferson City Fire Department.
The Lincoln University Police Department conducted an evacuation of the building and told firefighters there was heavy smoke on the second floor. Firefighters discovered the building's sprinkler system had controlled the fire on the stovetop.
After the fire was extinguished, ventilation began. LU personnel worked with the Fire Department to minimize smoke and water damage to the building.
Fire damage was contained to the room with the stove. The cause of the blaze appears to have been unattended cooking.