A structure fire caused major damage Wednesday to a home on West Street in California. The occupant of the home was rescued from the structure by responders with the Mid-Mo Ambulance District and was transported to the hospital.
A 911 call was made at 10:37 p.m., reporting the odor of smoke coming from the area of Village Green Shopping Center. After the California Fire Department arrived, they found the fire to be at 710 West St.
California Fire Chief Allen Smith said his crew noticed a small fire coming out of a roof stove pipe. The pipe, which was attached to a wood stove, is where the fire began.
“I’m speculating it was a single-walled pipe, not insulated,” Smith said. “It ignited the combustible wood panels in the ceiling and travelled quickly to the attic area in the house.”
Smith said the home was “older and has been built on several times.” He said the fire caused major damage to the house.
Firefighters with the city, California Rural Fire Department, the Jamestown Fire District and assistance from Automatic Mutual Aid responded to the fire.
“I appreciate the assistance of the other agencies,” Smith said. “It was a lot of hard work. Due to the construction of the house, it required a lot of manpower. Those other agencies are a tremendous asset to us.”