Jefferson City, MO 78° View Live Radar Wed H 93° L 69° Thu H 79° L 68° Fri H 77° L 65° Weather Sponsored By:

Formal charges filed in Jefferson City murder case

Formal charges filed in Jefferson City murder case

April 16th, 2019 by News Tribune in Local News

Formal charges were filed Tuesday against the man accused of involvement in Jefferson City's weekend murder case.

Marquis Avant, 22, is charged with second-degree murder, unlawful use of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence.

Officers were called to a disturbance in the 300 block of Hickory Street around 3:07 a.m. Saturday, according to a Jefferson City Police Department probable cause statement. Several people were reportedly fighting, and some at the scene estimated the crowd was between 100-150 people.

Related Article

Jefferson City police name weekend murder victim, 1 suspect arrested

Read more

Avant, who lives in the area, said he and others had attempted to move the crowd out of the area.

Due the large crowd and fights starting, Avant reportedly told officers, he pulled out a handgun and fired two shots into the air to try to disperse the crowd. At the same time, Avant said, other gunshots rang out.

Once the gunfire had stopped, two people were found to have been shot.

One person was treated at a local hospital for a non-life-threatening injury and released.

The other person shot — Robert Scott, 20, of Jefferson City — died from his wound.

Authorities obtained a search warrant for Avant's residence and found a box of 9mm ammunition in his bedroom. Several .45-caliber casings were located on the front porch, along with several 9mm shell casings outside the property.

After he shot his gun, Avant told police, he ran to the 200 block of East Ashley Street, where he threw the gun into some bushes to try to hide it. After authorities searched the area and could not find the gun, Avant told them he had contacted other people to have them retrieve it. Avant later contacted the friends who had taken the gun and told them to take it to the Police Department.

Court records show Avant had two outstanding warrants for his arrest at the time of this incident — both for failure to appear in court.

Avant is currently a student at Lincoln University, according to school spokeswoman Misty Young. He played football for the program during 2016 and 2017.

This article was edited at 3:30 p.m. April 18, 2019, to clarify that Avant reportedly told officers he fired two shots into the air to try to disperse the crowd.