The State Fire Marshal's Office determined a smoldering barbecue caused a house fire Sunday evening in Apache Flats.
The fire was called in shortly before 6 p.m. in the 200 block of Brookview Circle, according to Regional West Fire Protection District reports.
The owners had barbecued on their back wooden deck, went inside to eat then left the residence.
Roughly 15 minutes after they left, the owners received a call from a neighbor who saw the deck was on fire.
The fire spread from the deck to the home and went into the attic. By the time firefighters arrived, flames were coming through the roof.
Trucks from Cole County Fire Protection District also assisted on the scene.
Firefighters rescue a dog and other belongings from the home. The roof collapsed, and there was extensive damage to the first floor.
Fire officials thanked the neighborhood around the home for providing water for the firefighters.